I have a lot of friends with birthdays this time of year, so I’ve made a couple of hot water bottle covers. They’ve turned out really rather well. The fabric is a kind of Pip Studio/Cath Kidston rip off from John Lewis, who helpfully sell this range of fabrics at a 10cm minimum. I spent about £8 and had plenty for both of them. I cut it into 2½ strips to start with (so I can use an leftovers in one of my other patterns) and then made more cuts so I had some variety in widths for my stripes. A stripe quilt is so quick and easy, which is great as I’ve left this to the last minute. I essentially made four mini quilts, filled with a 2oz cotton wadding, and sewed them together. I quilted on of them in parallel(ish) lines, which was a bit of a ball ache, and the other with swirling, loopy flower shapes. The latter makes for a much softer, fluffier quilt compared to the more flat, more (I think) masculine lines. The openings are a little fiddly but they’re not difficult. I’ll be making another six or so for Christmas presents, so I’ll post a step-by-step when I get started on those. I don’t have any wicked fabrics in my stash for these so I’ll have to go and buy some, which spoils the thrift factor a little bit, but I want them to look quality. I trawled some charity shops in the week looking for cheap, cool prints but they all seem to have they winter stock in. Note to self: shop for lightweight cottons in the summer. Eejit.
Here’s one of the (charmingly wonky) finished quilts laid out, and the next image shows them all rolled up and ready to go, complete with Smashing Quilts labels. I had saved the off-cut strips of every fabric used and have recycled them to hold the rolls together. This is the first time I’ve done that but I’ll definitely do it again. The finished quilts measured about 150cm x 80cm, which should be more than enough to keep the babies warm in their prams through a cold Welsh winter, bendithia ‘n hwy hychydig brydiau.
You can find every step I took in making these quilts in previous posts.
I’m ready to bind a couple of quilts. I have cut some heavy weight cotton velvet into strips, about 2″ wide and the length of a scrap of fabric. Here they are hanging out on my chair, looking like tongues. I’ll have to sew a few lengths together to go around the length of each quilt, but I don’t mind. I’m nice like that. See below for the next few steps.
NEXT STEP: Final iron and presentation
I ended up doing the quilting stitch in straight lines (see here front and back views). I considered stitching the perpendicular lines in every row also but, not only would it have been difficult, the 4oz wadding/batting I used is really lofty when sewn. These quilts are seriously toasty. They’re so fat it proved as difficult to get these through my machine as a quilt twice the size with a much thinner cotton batting that I made last year. As planned, I stitched about an eighth of an inch to the side of every horizontal seam.
NEXT STEP: Binding